Happy Monday! So, as some of you know, I live in Jersey City! I feel like people look at me with 10 heads when I tell them I live here, but what they do not know is it is one of the best places to live, mainly because of its location to NYC.
Recently, some of my readers (& friends!) have asked me basic questions about Jersey City like where to eat, where to get their nails done, even where to by your groceries.
SO, I am integrating my neighborhood into howdoyouwearthat.com. In this series you will find all things JC (Jersey City). Think of it as me testing the market for YOU so you don’t have to 🙂
I am going to give you as many details as I can about it. I feel like I spend so much time googling places and trying to find out if it’s good, what the vibe is, if there is outdoor seating (haha..it’s a girl thing…) is it a BYO or bar, cash only or card? Which food stores have good produce or are you better off going to the farmers market on Wednesdays in Hamilton Park etc.
So, why not share what I have discovered all in one place so you don’t have to. Also, I just want to be clear, I am no food critic. I just know what I like and what I think people my age are looking for too. So, bear with me.
First up – Ani Ramen. This is a ramen house that just recently opened up. I stumbled upon it one afternoon while walking home and there was no signage or anything. Just a super sleek looking store front with a bustling crowd inside. I was immediately intrigued. So…naturally I went there…2 days later…and pigged out on ramen…
**this photo courtesy of Ashley D.**
Here is the breakdown:
Super sleek and modern mixed with cool urban city décor like newspaper wallpaper and trendy neon signage. However, you still feel like you are in a traditional ramen house, but they play some fun electronic // dance music pretty loud, nothing too overwhelming – just to give you a heads up.
Outdoor seating –– YES. There is an outdoor patio out back. When I went, I sat at the bar, but when I go back, I will definitely be sitting outside. I am such a sucker for outdoor patios…
Kitchen is open LATE! 12am weekdays and then 1am on Friday & Saturday. HOLLA. We are late eaters because we usually are working until after 7pm or shooting so we usually around 8:30-9pm or later. While they do not have their entire menu available, they pretty much have all the stuff available that you would only want aka ramen and BUNS!
With that being said, let’s get down to the real important part. The cuisine. I tried the following:
- Ani Ramen with a soft boiled egg — DELISH. You can choose from whatever ramen you’d like and then add in some extras. I added in an egg because that is what was recommended to me and it was super good.
- Shrimp buns – I AM STILL CRAVING THESE!!! Hands down, you have to get them. If you aren’t a shrimp fan, the have pork ones that are just as good, if not better. They are so freaking good.
- Their traditional house Sake – I am not huge on my sake knowledge but it was good, it was super summery and fresh — kind of tasted like ginger? Anyway, they also have a bunch of Japanese whiskey. Lots of people were drinking that so I’d recommend giving that a try as well.
Super affordable! The most expensive food item on the menu is $14 (the ramen!) and you can add in extra goodies for $2-$3. All the apps and small plates are about $8.
All the other stuff:
- Takes Credit cards
- Nice bar and tables — good for groups or just drinks
- I sat at the bar and thought the service was awesome
- No dancing // club turn over at night, just more of a cocktail bar
- No parking lot, but room for bike parking 🙂
- No Wifi avail — I like to know these things because sometimes I like to do work while I eat or if I am somewhere while traveling for work
- Currently no happy hours or specials
Anything else you want to know? Let me know! Just shoot me a comment, email or direct message on Instagram!
Thank you for stopping by! xo